Friday, April 22, 2016

Earth Day 2016

Silver Lake, Mears MI 4/16/16
Today is Earth Day 2016.  I celebrate Earth Day everyday of the year.  And each year it has more meaning to me.  I often think back to my childhood and wish that I would have seen the world through my adult eyes and have had an appreciation of our big beautiful earth then like I do today.  There was always little parts of me that appreciated natural beauty but nothing like my adult self.  I can't remember yearning to see the first blooms on the cherry trees in spring, the first new fallen snow of winter, experiencing excitement of fall colors, or sunsets in summer when I was a child or young adult.  But oh my!  It is in my soul now.

For example.....  I was middle school age when my parents allowed me to fly to Washington State to visit my Uncle Dallas one summer for a few weeks.  I was over the top excited to be going on my first plane ride, to see my Uncle and Aunt and spend time with my cousins but it never dawned on me to be excited about visiting a part of the country I've never seen before.  I was going to be seeing the rocky mountains for the first time in my life (and I haven't seen them since) but it was all so taken for granted.  It will be so different today.  I'll be seeing those mountains this fall and I cannot tell you how excited I am or how highly anticipated that trip is, so different from my 12 year old mind.   

Spring blossoms Michigan 4-18-16
We are in full blown spring now.  I can't drive anywhere without gawking at all the trees and flowers. I'm waiting for road side stands and farmers markets to start any day now.  
Asparagus should be showing up about a week or so.  And morel mushroom should be popping up any minute.  And I'll be hanging my hummingbird feeders this weekend!  Yes, bring it on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment